These Terms and Conditions are set out for all aspects of your driver training.
To be clear, these rules apply to both the customer and your “Alert School of Motoring” driving instructor. The only exception to the rules here in would be where the driver training vehicle is unexpectedly off the road due to mechanical failure.
These Terms and Conditions are an integral part of your tuition, you will be issued with a short version highlighting the key points on your first lesson; It is your responsibility to attend all lessons with a valid provisional driving licence, if a lesson is attended without such a licence, the full lesson price will be due. Your instructor reserves the right to refuse to provide you with tuition or to cancel any lessons you have agreed to or booked, without liability, if you fail to provide him/her with the licence prior to or on your first lesson. Your first lesson will consist of you and your instructor covering all aspects of the vehicle controls and assessing your needs to progress. It is also a good opportunity for you to deem if you have chosen the right instructor for yourself and to highlight any concerns you may have moving forward. Your instructor reserves the right to refuse any pupil if he/she feels there will be a personality barrier that will prevent the pupil learning and progressing.
The contract for driving tuition is solely between you and your instructor. You and your instructor are responsible for agreeing all matters relating to the timing, location and duration of individual lessons. Lessons booked as part of a block booking (10, 20 or 30 hours) will be honoured at the discounted rate. Lessons pre-paid at less than 10 hours are subject to change without notice should prices be changed.
Block bookings and gift vouchers – The cost of block booked tuition inc. gift vouchers, is based on the lesson price in force at the time that the booking is made and will be honoured for a period of 3 months from the date of the booking. If you fail to use a minimum of 50% of your block booked tuition within the first 2 months of the booking date, we reserve the right to increase the price of any unused tuition time. Hours booked must be taken consecutively and any gap between lessons longer than 2 weeks, unless agreed with your instructor prior, will forfeit any hours outstanding.
Refunds – Refunds will only be given under exceptional circumstances that have been discussed and pre-arranged with your driving instructor, refunds on part block bookings will be charged at the full hourly rate, all refunds will incur a £25 admin fee and is final. Where refund is under this amount (£25) then a 20% admin fee applies.
All gift vouchers purchased as full or part payment for lessons have no cash value, are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Payment – Lessons must be paid for before the start of lessons unless by prior arrangement and agreement with your instructor. Discounts are available for pre-paid lesson bookings.
Pick Up points – Your instructor will be pleased to start and finish your lesson from different pick up points providing these are agreed at least one week in advance and that both are within the usual area of work for the instructor.
Cancellation Policy – Lessons can only be cancelled with 2 working days’ notice. Where a cancellation is received within this period, the full cost of the lesson will be due. Where repeated cancellations occur, the instructor reserves the right to charge for the cancelled lesson. Successful driving training depends on continuity of tuition, this policy is in place to maintain this progress. This policy may only be varied by your instructor.
Communication- All communication must be in person and not via a relative or friend. This is for both security and data protection (GDPR). Therefore no changes to appointments will be accepted by text, email or answer phone message either. Your instructor will provide you with his/her mobile number on which to speak with him/her.
Bad Weather – Lessons will be taken as booked unless advised by the instructor in every circumstance. If weather is such that your instructor feels that a lesson needs to be re-arranged, he/she will be in contact with you. If you have any concerns, speak with your instructor.
To ensure that communication channels are in place please ensure that your instructor is aware of your mobile and landline numbers.
Holidays and Availability – Your instructor will give you the maximum possible notice of holidays/days where he/she is unavailable; please ensure that you do likewise to maintain progress. Please be sure to book your first lesson after your holiday/break in tuition, to retain your place in the diary and to maintain progress.
Refund Policy – Refunds for lessons not taken will only be made in exceptional circumstances, and entirely at the discretion of the instructor. Lessons already taken will not be refunded under any circumstances.
Practical Tests will only be booked with your instructor’s agreement. If a test is booked without the instructors agreement, there will be no assurance that his/her car will be available for the test. Please consult with your instructor where any doubt exists. Be aware that your instructor can book your practical test at no additional charge to yourself, and to ensure that the test is booked at a time where the instructor and his/her car are available. If your instructor deems you not test ready the instructor reserves the right to withdraw his/her vehicle or may rearrange your test with your consent.
Your instructor will:
(1) Provide you with driving tuition at the hourly rate communicated to you, there maybe an increase from time to time;
(2) Recommend what are, in their opinion, the most appropriate training methods and aids to help you study for your theory and hazard perception test;
(3) Design a course of lessons to match your specific driving and learning needs from your first lesson right through to your practical test;
(4) Provide you with on-road lessons which will last for the entire duration as you and your instructor will agree in advance;
(5) Provide a presentable, modern, properly maintained and dual controlled car for each lesson;
(6) Recommend, where appropriate, advanced courses to help you develop your skills for: motorway driving, driving in extreme weather conditions and the pass plus;
(7) Give you relevant feedback during your lesson and record your development on your progress card at the end of each lesson;
(8) Monitor your progress, advise and recommend what is, in their opinion, the appropriate time to book your mock practical test and once it has been agreed between you both, book your practical driving test and where required, they will advise whether it should be subsequently rescheduled;
(9) Provide training on a one-to-one basis with no other learner in the car;
(10) Honour the full time booked for each lesson, which should include an introduction, practical training and a short debriefing at the end of your lesson.
(11) At all times conduct themselves in a professional manner including:
i. being courteous and considerate to you
ii. Avoiding physical contact except in an emergency
iii. Not smoking within the training vehicle
iv. Restricting mobile phone use to emergencies or for your benefit;
(12) Reserve the right to cancel a lesson or finish a lesson early on grounds of road safety;
(13) Not discriminate against you and will always abide by the law;
(14) Endeavour to be on time at the agreed pick-up point and be available for the full duration of the lesson booking, subject to any circumstances beyond their control;
(15) Endeavour to give you two working days’ notice (excluding Bank Holidays) should a lesson need to be rescheduled unless in an emergency where notice may not be able to be given;
(16) Respond professionally to any worries or issues that you may have and try to resolve them to your satisfaction.
Health and Safety – Please ensure that you present yourself in suitable clothing, particularly practical shoes. It is also important to attend lessons with any appropriate glasses or lenses for reasons of road safety.
Drink, Drugs, Medication – If you are taking any medication that may affect your ability to drive, please discuss this at the earliest opportunity with your instructor. Be aware that where a pupil presents themselves for a lesson in a condition that the instructor believes to be unfit due to the effects of drink, drugs or medication, the lesson will be aborted on the grounds of road safety and the full lesson price will be due. There will be no exceptions to this rule.
Alert School of Motoring commits to fulfil its responsibilities with regard to Data Protection (GDPR). Any information provided will be treated as confidential, and handled securely.
Mobile telephones will not be answered by pupil or instructor during the lesson. Please remember to switch off your phone or turn to silent at the start of all lessons to prevent distraction.